Sunday, March 6, 2011

Traveling like a local...





From day one, Adalia suggested that I travel like a local this time.  So we checked the bus schedule and walked to the Central Bus Station.  Then I was on my own. I found bus #486 on platform 5 and left for Kibbutz Ein Gedi Spa at the Dead Sea.  (What a bargain, 63 shekels round trip!). (OK, so I had to stand for the first half-hour because the bus was packed, but all part of the fun.)  The road out of Jerusalem gave way to the beautiful stark Negev landscape filled with caves, and dotted with camels, palm trees, and views of the Dead Sea.




I arrived at Ein Gedi by11 a.m., and rented a towel and a locker.  First stop, sulphur pools for a ten minute dip.  Then a tractor pulls a train to the Dead Sea.  Very low key, comfy chairs, a little overcast, but  quite delightful. 





I don't know what they put in the rolls, but nothing tastes like the sandwiches in Israel with a slice of turkey, fresh red tomatoes, and the crispiest cucumbers.


The 4:30 bus arrived at 5:15 and by 7 we were back in Jerusalem.  I was supposed to meet Adalia at an evening class "somewhere by the Moriah bookstore up the steps and go right and go right and up more steps."  I went thru the Jaffa gate and since it has been a while, followed a boisterous, singing group of teens on their way to the kotel.  Then I was on my own to twist and turn thru alley ways (in the dark) and steps and mazes and ask people who said "yashar" and finally, like always here, arrived at the class.  A very young rabbi who grew up in San Diego was teaching it...Yoni Ha-Levi.  He said he was raised at University City Chabad.  He was so wise and personable.  I also saw the daughter and son of my friend Rhonda.  What joy she just have to know her children are together studying in Jerusalem!  I also got to see my first view of the kotel at night...






After class, Adalia and her roommate Verity and I walked to a wonderful sushi cafe where we met Jack Wachs, Verity's boyfriend.  Jack has an illustrious past and fabulous stories and is the son of Rabbi Wachs from Philadelphia.  Jack has a car so he drove us home the scenic route taking us through the streets of Mea Shearim with commentary where the sidewalks were still full and the shops were still open late into the night.


Now it is 1:30 a.m....way past my San Diego bedtime, but still too happy to sleep.  


Here is a wonderful quote to take to heart from one of Adalia's books....


"A long life is not good enough,
but a good life is long enough."





No comments:

Post a Comment